Crop Circles (1st edition)
General info and comments
The Crop Circles I expansion was an independently packaged expansion which was also included in some versions of the German base game of Carcassonne. The Crop Circles II “expansion” is considered #7 of the mini-expansions released in 2012, but it does not exist as an independent set. Rather, one tile was packed with each of the preceding 6 mini expansions.
The rules for Crop Circles I and Crop Circles II are functionally identical. The version of the rules specific to Crop Circles II can be found on the HiG website, as it is not packaged with the tiles themselves.
- Crop Circles I: 6 new land tiles
- Crop Circles II: 6 new land tiles
The Crop Circle tiles should be mixed with the rest of the tiles.
Playing the Game
A player who draws a tile with a crop circle places it according to the usual rules and carries out a normal turn. After that, he or she decides whether all players, starting with the player to his or her left:
- A) may  take one of their own followers from their supply and deploy it next to another of their followers already on a landscape tile, or
- B) must remove one of their own followers from a landscape tile and return it to their supply.
It is important to observe that:
- The active player must choose action A or B.
- The type of follower affected is decided by the tile drawn, as follows:
- When a player performs action A, he or she must deploy the follower to a feature which already contains a follower of the same type (farmer to a farmer, thief to a thief, knight to a knight). 
- If a player is unable to perform the action, due to not having a follower of the required type in play, then he or she will be passed over and the next player to the left should continue.
- The active player performs the action last, and then the next player should take their turn as usual.
Crop Circles I
Total tiles: 6
Crop Circles II 
Total tiles: 6 
For Icons licensing and explanation please visit Icons page.
- Note that the rules for action A clearly state that players may decide whether to deploy a second follower next to one already in play. In other words, the active player decides what effect the crop circle has: A) deployment or B) removal. If deployment, the players may choose to deploy or not to deploy a second follower, but if a player has no followers in the supply, he or she is forced to choose "not to deploy" a second follower. If removal, all players must remove one follower of the appropriate type.
- Any follower that can be put in a city, is considered to be a knight.
- The three road segments on this tile end at the junction, even though there are no obstacles pictured in the road. All junctions and crossings are treated the same, regardless of the artwork. This is not a continuous road with three branches. (5/2014)
- Crop fields (the yellow areas) are distinct features and thus separate road segments and field segments. (1/2013)
- Note that these tiles are also counted in Mini Expansions # 1-6.