The Fruit-Bearing Trees
General info and comments
With this expansion, Carcassonne will be surrounded by various fruit-bearing trees. The larger the variety of fruits you offer is, the higher your income will be.
This expansion has been developed for the Carcassonne basic game. All of the rules remain the same. You can combine it with other expansions - but at your own risk – i.e. there will be no official rules for these combinations.
- 6 new land tiles with 6 types of fruit-bearing trees (quince, apple, apricot, cherry, plum and elder)
- 24 fruit tokens (4 per fruit with the values 5, 4, 3, and 2 on the back)
Shuffle the 6 Land tiles with fruit-bearing trees together with the Land tiles of the basic game. Arrange the 24 fruit tokens according to their colour/type. Then, shuffle each colour/type stack separately (the values face down). Place the 6 stacks next to the scoring track.
Placing a tile
Placing a meeple
You may place one of your meeples on the Tree tile according to the normal rules. Note that you are not allowed to place a meeple on the tree itself.
Carrying out a "fruit action"
If you have deployed a meeple, you may now perform either one of the following two actions. If a player in a later turn places a tile adjacent (vertically, horizontally or diagonally) to a tree tile and places a meeple on the tile, he may likewise perform one of the following two actions.  
Take the top-most fruit token from the tree tile (if available). Then, immediately score points according to the fruit token's value. The fruit token is then placed in front of you.
Instead of taking a new fruit token, you can choose to sell fruit tokens you have previously harvested. You may sell 1 to 4 tokens, but the more you sell, the more points you score. If you want to sell more than one token, they must (all) be of different types of fruit. You may only sell one set at a time. The value on the back does not matter when selling fruits. Sold fruit tokens are set aside and removed from the game.
|Points for fruit selling|
|1 token = 3 points|
|2 tokens = 6 points|
|3 tokens = 10 points|
|4 tokens = 15 points|
The following examples show harvesting and selling actions:
Scoring a feature
When you complete one or more areas (e.g. a monastery, a road etc.) by placing a Tree tile, you score them according to the normal rules.
At the end of the game, each fruit token is worth 1 point.
Total Tiles: 6
Total Tiles: 24
For each fruit type, there are four tokens with different values (2, 3, 4 and 5) on the back.
For Icons licensing and explanation please visit Icons page.
A fruit action may happen when:
- A tree tile is placed with a meeple (in the same turn); or
- A new tile with a meeple is placed adjacent to a tree tile (in a later turn.) It does not matter who placed the tree tile.
- It is not clear whether placing a tile next to several trees allows you to perform one fruit action per tree (on the newly placed tile or on adjacent tiles.) The rules do not include any comments on this possible case but do not prohibit it explicitly either. An official clarification would be necessary.