Black Dragon (Fan Expansion)
Main Page ✎ > Carcassonne ✎ > Fan Expansions ✎ > Black Dragon (Fan Expansion)
The Black Dragon brings a new neutral figure, the Black Dragon ✎ , into the game. The Black Dragon is powerful and eats everything in its path when a feature is completed in the game. No one is safe; even the Red Dragon ✎ or Fairy ✎ can be eaten! This fan expansion can be played with Base Game ✎ or with any combination of expansions for Carcassonne; The Princess & the Dragon ✎ is not required for play.
General info and Downloads
The Black Dragon fan-expansion ✎ for Carcassonne Base Game ✎ has been released by Carcassonne CZ forum member šmoula (CarcCZ, CarcC).
Please be aware that WikiCarpedia does not assume responsibility for the content of the links provided.
The expansions listed are governed by the regulations of their respective websites.
Commercial use of fan expansions is prohibited. These expansions are intended solely for personal use and may not be sold under any circumstances, including at cost price.
- 1× Black Dragon ✎
Place the Black Dragon to the side for now - it doesn't belong to any player.
1. Placing a tile
Whenever you draw a tile, place it normally.
2. Placing a meeple
You may place a meeple according to the usual rules.
3. Scoring a feature
The Black Dragon does not enter the game until a player scores 50 or more points on the scoring track. At this moment, after scoring completed features, continue to Step 3: Placement of the Black Dragon. From this point forward, at the beginning of phase 3. Scoring feature, the active player must move the Black Dragon when at least one feature is completed.
Step 1: Movement of the Black Dragon
If the Black Dragon is in play and one or more features have been completed by placing a tile, the active player moves the Black Dragon, either horizontally or vertically, by 1 tile for each completed feature. The Black Dragon may not move back to any tile which it previously occupied during this turn. The Black Dragon eats each figure on the tiles that it moves to. Player figures are returned to the supply; neutral figures are placed to the side.
Step 2: Score completed features
Now you score all completed features.
Step 3: Placement of the Black Dragon
After scoring all features and when any player's scoring figure has reached or passed the 50-point field on the scoring board from begin of this turn, you take the Black Dragon and move it directly to the last placed tile. The Black Dragon eats each figure on the tile. All points scored by players after 3. Scoring a feature phase has no effect on the Black Dragon's placement, even if any player has reached or passed the 50-point field on the scoring board.
This Expansion Selector allows you to pick what expansions (or parts of them) to use in the reference pages of WICA. According to your selection, the Order of Play and Scoring sections will be adapted. This way, you can customize WICA to suit your game without any hinderance from the expansions left out.
As hinted above, the expansions combining multiple elements permit a fine-grain selection of its elements. For example, you can choose the abbey tiles and the wagon from "Abbey & Mayor" and to leave out the barn and the mayor.
2. Use Guide
The selector has several tabs and below there is an area that lists the current selection at all times, no matter the tab displayed.
You can click on any tab label to go to the desired tab. Additional clicks on a selected tab will collapse it and expand it back in order to access the selector when needed. Switching to another tab will expand the selector automatically.
The following sections describe the tabs and their functionality.
2.1. "Expansions" tabs
The first three (or four) tabs from the left allow you to pick expansions in full or partially when possible.
- Major expansions: lists all official major expansions by HiG.
- Minor expansions: lists all official minor expansions by HiG and some of their licensed equivalents.
- Other expansions: lists the rest of licensed and unofficial expansions as well as those Print & Play and Cut & Play expansions released by HiG.
- Fan expansions: lists some fan-made expansions. This tab may not be available in some cases.
These tabs show a listing of expansions where each label is preceded by a checkbox to allow its selection and deselection if full.
Those expansions with various components show a clickable "[+]" symbol after them when closed or "[–]" when open. In the latter case, all the components are displayed and can be selected and deselected individually.
Each tab has a text label in accordance with the format "Group (X/Y)" in order to identify the set of expansions listed (indicated by Group), the number of expansions selected (represented by X) and the total number available (represented by Y).
2.2. "Quick Selectors" tab
This is the fourth tab from the left. It allows you to choose from a predefined list of available expansions sets. This tab contains the following elements:
- A dropdown list and a "Select Expansions" button: They allow you select and load a predefined expansion bundle, such as a Big Box or all the expansions for the New Edition.
- The "Clear All" button empties your current with one click.
- The "Select All" button selects all the expansions available with one click.
2.3. "Filters" tab
This is the fifth tab from the left. It allows you to choose what Carcassonne editions are displayed and your preferred edition. The editions considered are the 1st Edition (C1), the New Edition (C2+C3), and the Winter Edition (WE), which is included in a creative way if some of its expansions are of interest.
The tab displays two panels:
- "Show Editions" panel: it contains a checkbox for each edition available (C1, C2+C3 and WE.) The selector will show the expansions belonging to the checked editions only. For example, if the 1st edition (C1) checkbox is selected, expansions such as "The Wheel Of Fortune" or "Halflings" will be eligible in the Expansion Selector, otherwise they will not be available for selection. At least one edition has to be selected, thus they cannot be deselected at the same time.
- "Preferred Edition" panel: it contains a set of radio buttons for the 1st Edition (C1), the New Edition (C2+C3) and the Winter Edition. The radio button selected will indicate the Expansion Selector which edition has precedence over the other when:
- Describing the Game Reference, the Order of Play, the Scoring rules and Game Figures: If there are differences between editions, the preferred edition rules and wording will be displayed. For example, the movement of the dragon will be displayed in different steps in the Order of Play depending on whether C1 or C2+C3 is selected.
- Displaying graphics in the Scoring sections: For expansions available in both editions, the images shown will correspond to the selected edition. Images from an expansion only existing in one edition will not change.
The radio button for an edition will be enabled only if such an edition is available, that is, it is selected in the "Show Editions" panel.
It also includes a checkbox with the label "Mark rules adaptations": If checked, all the rules displayed in the Game Reference, the Order of Play, and the Game Figures not corresponding to the preferred edition will be highlighted.
This tab shows a label similar to "Filters (C1/C2+C3/WE) #" that lists all the editions selected in parentheses and one of them is underlined, indicating that it is the preferred one. The hash sign "#" is present if rules adaptations are highlighted.
This is the current tab displayed with help information about the Expansion Selector.
Figures eaten by Black Dragon
Rule of thumb: Every living figure can be eaten by Black Dragon
Protection against the Black Dragon
Figures in the following places are safe from the Black Dragon
|Exp. 6 - Count, King & Robber ✎||The interior of the City of Carcassonne ✎|
|Exp. 8 - Bridges, Castles & Bazaars ✎||Castle ✎|
|The Wheel of Fortune ✎||Wheel of Fortune ✎|
|The Markets of Leipzig ✎||The interior of the City of Leipzig ✎|
For Icons explanation and licensing please visit Icons page.