Easter in Carcassonne (1st edition)
General info and comments
This is a Carcassonne fan-expansion to make yourself. This expansion is not for sale and may not be used for commercial purposes. Together with the diligent idea creator, HiG made this download version available to all who have fun with self-made expansion.
The tiles and rules files published by HiG are available here:
- German version and English translation on Carcassonne Central (please register to access):
- German version on Carcassonne Forum (please register to access):
The original fan expansion files can be found here:
- German versions (rules and tiles) on Carcassonne Forum (please register to access):
- English version (rules translation) on Carcassonne Central (please register to access):
- 22 new landscape tiles (10 with an Easter Nest and 12 with an Easter Bunny)
- 1 Easter bunny figure 
- Numerous Easter eggs, preferably made of chocolate (we recommend at least 2 packets of smaller, sweeter, Easter eggs) 
- 1 special die marked 1, 1, 2, 2, 3, 3 (e.g. from Mini #1 - The Flier (Flying Machines)) 
Shuffle the new landscape tiles with the other land tiles. Place the Easter bunny, the Easter eggs and the die aside within easy reach of all players.
|Easter Nest: If a player completely surrounds the Easter Nest by placing a tile, a scoring for that Easter Nest follows the regular scoring phase.  Surrounding means here the same as for a cloister, so the Easter Nest must be surrounded by 8 tiles.|
|Easter Bunny: After the turn in which an Easter Bunny tile is placed, the game is briefly interrupted for an Easter Bunny phase. After this phase, it is the turn of the next player in clockwise order as usual.|
If no die from the expansion Mini #1 - The Flier (Flying Machines) is available, a regular six-sided die can also be used. In this case, the Easter bunny figure moves 1 hop for rolls 1-2, 2 hops for 3-4 and 3 hops for 5-6.
In the final scoring, no Easter eggs will be awarded to the followers of an unfinished Easter Nest area. The Easter bunny figure will not play a role in the final scoring either.
The player with the most Easter eggs gets 10 points. The player with the second most Easter eggs gets 5 points. In the event of a tie, all players receive the corresponding points.
CAUTION!!!!: Only the Easter eggs that have not yet been eaten count. After the final scoring all Easter eggs should be eaten at your own risk...
Exp. 1 - Inns & Cathedrals:
The big follower only gets one Easter egg.
Exp. 2 - Traders & Builders:
The special figures Builder and Pig go away empty-handed when the Easter eggs are distributed. During a double turn, the scoring of Easter Nests and the Easter Bunny phase may happen once for each part of the turn. 
Exp. 3 - The Princess & the Dragon:
The dragon eats the Easter bunny figure (a dragon can't miss that).  The bunny can be on the same tile as the fairy.  If an Easter Nest is completed with a dragon tile, the movement of the bunny takes place after the dragon has been moved, if it is still on the tile.
Exp. 4 - The Tower:
The tower does not capture the Easter bunny figure. A follower on the tower also gets an Easter egg as a gift.
Exp. 5 - Abbey & Mayor:
The wagon and the mayor receive an Easter egg, but the barn does not.
Exp. 6 - Count, King & Robber:
No follower from the city of Carcassonne can be deployed when scoring a completed Easter Nest. Even a heretic at a place of cult receives an egg.
Exp. 7 - The Catapult:
If an Easter Nest is completed with a catapult tile, the scoring of the Easter Nest takes place after the catapult round.
Exp. 8 - Bridges, Castles & Bazaars:
A follower on a bridge receives an Easter egg. Completing an Easter Nest does not trigger the scoring of a castle. The bazaar round is carried out after the scoring of Easter Nests.
Exp. 9 - Hills & Sheep:
Even the shepherd receives an Easter egg, although it is not a follower! The hills and vineyards do not affect the distribution of the eggs.
Mini #4 - The Goldmines:
The completion of an Easter Nest does not cause the distribution of gold pieces.
Mini #5 - Mage & Witch:
The Mage and the Witch do not affect the distribution of the Easter eggs, the Easter bunny figure can be on the same tile with any of them.
Total tiles: 22
For Icons licensing and explanation please visit Icons page.
- You could use any of the rabbit figures available on www.spielematerial.de
- This represents around 40 Easter eggs.
- If no special is available, you can use a regular tile. See Rules adaptation for more information.
- Followers cannot claim the Easter Bunny symbol or the Easter Nest symbol. They are not proper features.
- The original rules indicated that the Easter Nest scoring happens during the scoring phase (3. Scoring a feature), but the interactions with other expansions indicate this action happens later.
- The fan-made version included this variant without a die: Each player moves the bunny 2 hops.
- These actions are associated to the placement of a tile and will take care after the regular scoring phase (3. Scoring a feature) as inferred from the clarification for Exp. 7 and Exp. 8: after a catapult round and before a bazaar round.
- In the original fan-made rules, the dragon could not eat the Easter bunny figure. HiG reverted this in the final version.
- The original fan-made rules and the HiG rules indicated that the Easter bunny figure could also be on the same tile as the dragon. This could be possible in the original rules. However, this is a contradiction in the final rules, since the dragon now eats the bunny.