The Ferries (1st edition)
|You are reading rules for this design of tiles.|
|Open following rules if your tiles looks like this tile.|
The Ferries ✎
|If your tiles have different design, then choose game from Spin-offs ✎ .|
Main Page ✎ > Carcassonne ✎ > The Ferries (1st edition)
General info and comments
The Ferries (Mini #3) was originally released by Hans im Glück in 2012.
Some roads lead to small lakes around Carcassonne. There ferries are operated, connecting some roads at times and other roads at other times. This results in new challenges for robbers.
This expansion has been developed for the Carcassonne basic game. All the basic game rules still apply in addition to the expansion rules below.
- 8 wooden ferries
- 8 new land tiles with lakes
- 1 new land tile with crop circle
The landscape tiles with lakes are mixed with the other landscape tiles. The wooden ferries are kept available for use.
Placing a tile
When a player draws a tile with a lake, he or she plays it according to normal rules. Then he or she may place a follower.
Deploying a follower
If he chooses to place a follower on a road, he must place the follower on one of the three or four road segments.
Placing a ferry
Afterward,  the active player must take a ferry from the stock and link two of the road segments on the tile. The ferry connects the ends of the road to form a continuous road.  A road segment without a ferry on a lake is closed at this end. If the tile with the lake completes a feature after placing the ferry, the feature is scored as usual.
Extending a Road with Ferries and Changing Ferries
If a player places his landscape tile and extends a road that already includes a ferry,  the player may move the ferry, but he or she is not required to do so. The ferry must always connect 2 road ends. The player may move the ferry such that it no longer connects to the road that has just been extended. If there are two ferries on the road that was just extended, the player may only move the first ferry in the road – the ferry that is closest to the tile that was just placed. 
Special case: If roads from the placed landscape tile extend in several directions, the first ferry in each of these directions may be moved. Thus up to 4 ferries could be moved.
The following diagrams explain movement of multiple ferries after placing a tile. Figures originally posted on BGG by Christof Tisch.
More rules: A ferry may be moved only once per turn. If a player places a tile with a lake on it, he or she first places the ferry on the new lake. Then, the player may move any further ferries that are allowed by the above rules.
The sequence of actions relating to lakes and ferries:
- Place (lake) tile
- Place follower
- Place ferry (if new lake tile placed) 
- Move ferries on other lakes (if placed tile extends a ferry road) 
- Score features (if needed)
Scoring a feature
If the tile with the lake completes a feature after placing the ferry, the feature is scored as usual. 
At the end of the game, normal scoring for incomplete features applies.
Interaction with Other Expansions
The following notes clarify how The Ferries interact with a couple of major expansion. 
Inns & Cathedrals
A ferry lake has nothing to do with an inn lake. Thus, a road that is only beside a ferry lake only scores only 1 point per tile.
Traders & Builders
If a road on which a builder has been placed is extended only through moving a ferry, the player may not perform a double turn. 
The crop circles addition
In each mini, you will find a tile of the 7th mini expansion Crop Circles. This expansion is playable with only a single tile, but it is best to play with all 6 tiles. 
Individual lakes may differ between tiles with the same basic layout.
For Icons explanation and licensing please visit Icons page.
- ↑ This step (placement of the ferry) occurs whether or not a follower was placed. (5/2014)
- ↑ This order of play provides a mechanism to add a follower to a road occupied by other followers, as seen in Example 2.
- ↑ The road must include a wooden ferry to allow movement of that ferry in this situation. Thus, if adding onto a road that ends at a lake without the wooden ferry connection, the ferry cannot be moved. (2/2013)
- ↑ In other words, you may move the first ferry that you get to if following a road from the newly placed tile. You may not move any ferries that are beyond the first ferry as seen from the tile. (1/2013)
- ↑ The RGG version of the rules incorrectly adds "if he placed a follower on the road" here, even though there is no such stipulation in the body of the rules.
- ↑ The RGG version of the rules incorrectly adds the requirement "if he placed a follower on the road" here, even though there is no such stipulation in the body of the rules.
- ↑ Road may be closed just by moving ferry, without extending it, since a road segment without a ferry on a lake is closed at this end.
- ↑ These additional rules clarifications are from the Big Box 4 edition of the rules.
- ↑ If movement of a ferry causes a builder to be on a separate road from the player’s follower, the builder is returned to its owner. It is irrelevant if the follower is still on a road. (5/2013)
- ↑ Note that the Crop Circle tiles included in the mini expansions are different from the tiles released in the initial Crop Circles expansion (referred to as "Crop Circles I").