The School (1st edition)
General info and comments
- 1 translucent teacher meeple in a random color (belonging to no player)
- 2 new land tiles representing the school
- A drawstring bag to store the tiles and teacher meeple
The two school tiles are placed side-by-side next to the normal starting tile so that the 2 halves of the school fit together. The school tiles may be placed either to the left or the right of the normal starting tile. The teacher meeple is placed on the school.
Playing the Game
The rules of Carcassonne remain the same. A player who completes one or more of the roads leading to the school scores the road(s) as normal and then obtains the teacher meeple after the scoring.  The player takes the teacher out of the school and places it in front of himself. When the next feature is scored , the player with the teacher scores the same number of points.   If the player with the teacher is the player who scores for the next feature, he scores the points twice. After scoring points with the teacher, the teacher meeple must be returned to the school. 
Example 1: RED has the teacher. BLUE completes a "school road" worth 5 points. BLUE and RED both score 5 points. RED returns the teacher to the school, and BLUE then takes the teacher.
Example 2: YELLOW has the teacher. GREEN completes a city, scoring 12 points for GREEN. YELLOW scores 12 points as well, then returns the teacher to the school.
Note: When all roads leading to the school are completed, the players have managed to successfully link the school to the outside world. Now the teacher has plenty of students and will not leave the school again.
Fine Print: This mini expansion is designed for the basic Carcassonne game and for the first expansion (Inns and Cathedrals). When using The School with other expansions, issues can arise.     
Total Tiles: 2 (as 1 starting block) 
For Icons explanation and licensing please visit Icons page.
- Note that the teacher is obtained after scoring the road. Thus, if another player has the teacher when the road is scored, the bonus points can be awarded and the teacher returned to the school before the player completing the road claims the teacher.
- This sentence follows the German rules, so the player with the teacher can receive points from any feature scored during the Scoring phase, that is, completed features and also fields scored due to barns. The English rules assume that the feature has to be completed.
- If multiple features are completed with a single tile placement and all points go to one player, that player chooses what order the features are scored in, and the holder of the teacher gets the points from the first scored feature. If multiple features are completed with a single tile placement and more than one player is receiving points, the holder of the teacher decides which score he will receive. (3/2015)
- If one player is in possession of the teacher, and another player completes an unoccupied school road before any points are scored, the holder of the teacher does not score any points (as no points were scored by the road). The teacher would not go back to the school, as no points were scored, but the second player obtains the teacher (from the first player) for completing a school road. (3/2015)
- If a player has the teacher at the end of the game, it seems that the player would receive no points, as there is not a specific order for scoring of the incomplete features and farms at that point.
- Interestingly, HiG acknowledges that not all expansions work well together. One may suspect that the fine print specifically relates to other expansions that have their own starting tiles, such as River, The River II, and The Count of Carcassonne. If using one of those expansions, you can e-mail your question to the address included in the mini-expansion rules, or simply create your own house rule.
- Followers can be deployed on features on school tiles outside the school itself, for example through use of a magic portal or as a flier. (1/2013)
The two landscape tiles together form the school. The teacher on the school is therefore not to be assigned to a particular tile (it does not teach just half the school). Thus the teacher is safe from the dragon. (4/2015)
The ruling about the dragon being able to eat the teacher has changed several times. We reflect here the final ruling (as indicated in the updated Dragon Meal Plan FAQ document by HiG).
- The dragon is allowed on the school tiles but cannot eat the neutral teacher figure placed on the school. (4/2015)
- Given the interpretations regarding placement of the dragon and followers on school tiles, it seems that the plague should also be allowed on these tiles. However, this is unofficial. (4/2014)
- All 6 roads are separate from each other – as usual, a junction (in this case the school) separates road segments. (5/2014)