General info and comments
This mini expansion features watchtowers that you can build in and around Carcassonne. Each tower watches over different things and is more valuable the more it watches over.
This expansion has been developed for the Carcassonne basic game. All the basic game rules still apply in addition to the expansion rules below. You can combine it with other expansions - but at your own risk – that is, there will be no official rules for these combinations.
- 12 new land tiles showing watchtowers
Shuffle the 12 land tiles showing the watchtowers together with those from the base game.
Total Tiles: 12
For Icons licensing and explanation please visit Icons page.
This means watchtowers are scored independently from cities or roads, so the resulting score is not part of the feature. Therefore watchtowers score first as an event triggered by the completion of the neighboring city or road but it is actually a scoring associated to the meeple placed on the watchtower tile. Note that the meeple on the watchtower tile may belong to a player who doesn't have the majority in the feature being scored, so:
- The player with the meeple on the watchtower will score their meeple first.
- The player with the majority will score the feature afterwards.
- Note that several meeples may end up on the same watchtower tile when playing with phantoms, magic portals, flying machines, crop circles, wagons or the Count of Carcassonne. Also remember that watchtower tiles may have several segments connected to the same completed feature. So a completed road or city may contain a tile contributing with several segments to the same feature, each of them with zero, one or more meeples. In these cases, since majority is not applied to this scoring bonus, each meeple on the watchtower tile contributing to the feature being scored will receive the watchtower points. These meeples may belong to the same or to different players.
- This watchtower type only takes meeples into consideration, that is, normal meeples, large meeples, mayors, wagons, ringmasters, abbots and phantoms. Special figures (builders, pigs, barns and shepherds) and neutral figures (Dragon, Fairy, tower pieces, Count, brigdes, Big Top, ferries, gold ingots, Mage, Witch or Gingerbread Man) are not considered.
- Castles are not placed on a particular tile, so this watchtower type would not consider meeples in castles for scoring.
- Wooden bridges from Exp. 8 - Bridges, Castles and Bazaars should be taken into consideration for this watchtower as wooden bridges are considered the same as printed road segments.
This watchtower bonus will be applicable to all monastic buildings: monasteries, abbeys, shrines, German monasteries, Dutch & Belgian monasteries, Japanese buildings and Darmstadt churches. German cathedrals or gardens are not considered.
Moreover, the position of a meeple placed on a special monastery (German monasteries, Dutch & Belgian monasteries, Japanese buildings) is also irrelevant.
- Castles are not placed on a particular tile and they are not cities but a different feature type, so this watchtower type would not consider castles for scoring.
- This statement, not included in the original rules, is inferred from the rules, since watchtower scoring can only be triggered by completed roads or cities.