General info and comments
Carcassonne Map-Chips was originally released by Hans im Glück in 2019.
It is a mini-expansion with different rules for each Carcassonne Map. In the case of Carcassonne Maps - France, players will produce and sell wine to score points.
- 30 Map–Chips (10 each in purple, light blue and orange).
Map-Chip back side
It is recommended to play with 110–120 tiles, for example with the basic game and the first and second expansions, that is, Exp. 1 - Inns and Cathedrals and Exp. 2 - Traders and Builders.
Use 2 of the 3 available start-squares (Nancy, Le Mans and Limoges).
Start-squares for Carcassonne Maps - France
Shuffle all 30 Map-Chips face down. Place them evenly distributed on the squares of the map and stick to the following rules:
- Place the chips face down
- Place only 1 chip per square
- Place no chips on the large city squares or town squares
- Place no chips next to each other vertically or horizontally (only diagonally)
- Place no chips vertically or horizontally adjacent to a used start square or to an open edge of a large city
Example: This is one example of how the chips could be placed. (The chips are shown larger than in reality.)
If you place a tile on a square with a chip you take the chip, flip it over and score 1 or 2 points immediately. Then you place the chip face up in front of you.
Example 1: You place a tile on a square with a chip and you take it. Now you get 2 points for it.
There are 3 types of grapes: purple, light blue and orange. If there are 2 points of one type of grape in front of you, you have produced wine.
Example 2: With these chips you have produced an orange wine (1+1=2) and a blue wine (2).
Selling wine 
You can sell one wine per turn. To do this, you must sell chips worth exactly 2 points from one type of grape (same color). 
You have two possibilities of selling wine:
1) You sell wine to another country (5 points)
- If you place a tile connecting to a road or a city with a coat of arms on the border of the map (you enable a connection to another country), you are allowed to sell wine. You don't have to score points with this tile.  You get 5 points.
Example 3: You enable a connection to another country by placing the land tile and you sell the purple wine for 5 points.
2) You sell the appropriate wine to a town (9 points)
- If you cover a town with a land tile, you are allowed to sell the wine of the type of grape shown on the town square. You get 9 points.
Example 4: You place a land tile on the square of Nancy (orange wine) and you sell your orange wine for 9 points.
Chips of sold wine are no longer in the game.
End of the game
At the end of the game, you don't get any points for your unsold wine or your remaining chips.
After having placed a tile, you are allowed to place a meeple according to the general rules.
The scoring is done as usual.
Total tokens: 30
For Icons explanation and licensing please visit Icons page.
The final rules povided by HiG include sections Selling wine and End of the game in phase 3. Scoring a feature, although the publisher agreed that phase 1. Placing a tile may be the proper place. (01/2020)
The original German rules also indicated that you are not allowed to sell chips with a total value of 3 (a 1 and a 2 chip). This clarification was removed in the final rules.
The tile just placed does not have to complete any feature in order to be able to sell one. The only requirement is to place the tile adjacent to a road or city segment abroad.