Mage and Witch
General info and comments
Powerful magicians visit the realm of Carcassonne. The mage's presence inspires the citizens, but the witch casts a sinister pall over everything she touches.
- 8 landscape tiles with magic logos
- 1 purple mage figure
- 1 orange witch figure
Shuffle the new landscape tiles with those of the basic game and stack them normally. Place the mage and witch figures (collectively called "magic figures") within easy reach of all players.
If playing with other expansions, please take the following notes into consideration:
Total Tiles: 8
Several tiles have a small illustration on them. The letters in brackets show which illustration is on each tile:
For Icons licensing and explanation please visit Icons page.
- This means that if you complete a city or road with a tile featuring the magic symbol, you cannot place a magic figure on that city or road, since it is no longer incomplete. The tile placement completed the feature before a magic figure could be placed on it.
- The magic figures can be placed on any tile in the playing area, including the tile just placed, as long as the restrictions in the rules are met.
- If the mage or witch is already on a tile and is moved due to placement of a tile with the mage symbol, the figure must be moved to a different feature. (5/2014)
- Thus: 1) If neither figure is in play, you bring one into play. 2) If both magic figures are in play, you move one of them to a different feature. 3) If only one figure is in play, you choose one or the other to move – you may move either the figure that is already in play or the figure that began the turn off of the playing field. In all of these situations, you may choose to move either the mage or the witch. (updated 5/2014; corrected 3/2020)