General info and comments
This expansion has been developed for the Carcassonne basic game. All the basic game rules still apply in addition to the expansion rules below. You can combine it with other expansions - but at your own risk – i.e. there will be no official rules for these combinations.
- 10 new Land tiles with a Festival place and a "15" expansion symbol set amongst some coloured starbursts
- 2 special tiles with the rules in German and English, not used as land tiles.
Shuffle the 10 Festival tiles together with the Land tiles of the basic game.
Rules Tiles: 2
Rules Tiles: 2
For Icons explanation and licensing please visit Icons page.
- The rules provided by CundCo used the word "meeple" but the rules intended by HiG referred to "figures." We follow the HiG ruling here and modified the wording accordingly.
- All of your own figures are meant here, including normal and large meeples, wagon, mayor, builder, pig, barn, shepherd, phantom, abbot meeple, ringmaster, and guard meeple. (5/2015; updated 12/2018; updated 2/2023)
No scoring would be applicable to any meeple or special figure, including the abbot and the shepherd. Note that:
- It would be odd to use this expansion to remove an abbot meeple, as it has its own retrieval mechanism that involves scoring.
- If a shepherd is removed, no Guide flock to stable action is invoked and no flock scoring would take place. There is no official clarification about what happens in this case to the shepherd's flock. Two options may happen:
- The flock is returned to the bag without scoring as soon as their shepherd is removed from the board.
- The flock remains on the game board. If it is shared with one or more shepherds, they would not be affected; otherwise, the flock could be claimed by a new shepherd and it would be an analogous case to the sheep found on some tiles in minor expansions such as The River III from the first edition or Halflings.
- Players should agree on which option is chosen at the beginning of a game.
- A player cannot return another player's figure to them. Also, a player cannot return a neutral figure (such as the fairy or the dragon).
- As the City of Carcassonne from Count, King and Robber is also part of the playing area, this allows removal of a meeple from there (even if the Count is in the same space). This would also apply to the City of Leipzig from The Markets of Leipzig, the bathhouses from The Barber-Surgeons, and the 1st edition Wheel of Fortune crown spaces. (updated 12/2018)
- If the Festival is used to remove a meeple, the fairy cannot be moved, as an action was still taken in phase 2. Placing a meeple. (5/2014)
- If the Festival is used to remove a meeple, the Phantom can still be placed on that turn. (11/2013)